miércoles, 14 de mayo de 2008

Nonsense

Today is a sad day here in Spain.I dont know if you receive news of Spain there, but this night, at 03:00 am, ETA (the spanish terrorist group) killed a man in the North of Spain; he was a "guardia civil" (its like a national guard, but more a policeman than a soldier), and he was only 41 years old, and now, his wife and his litthe boy are alone, and we all here wonder why this has to happen.

Terrorism is something that we suffer a lot here in Spain. As you probably know, the worst terrorist act that we had here was March 11, 2004, when 192 people died because of a bomb in a train; I know you also suffer these things, and many other countries too, and, everytime this happens, I cant understand the reasons. In the begining, ETA said that they do what they do, because they want Pais Vasco (its a region of Spain, in the North) to be independent; but , first, there are tons of ways to fight for that, and you dont have to kill innocent people to fullfill your goal, and, second, most of the people in Pais Vasco dont want to be independent of Spain, so its really a nonsense.

On March 11, my brother worked so close to the train station where one of the bombs exploded, but that day he was so lucky, cause he went to work late, if he would have been on time, we dont know what would have happened; the wife of the man that has been murdered today, was preparing all the papers for her husband to ask for a new place to work, because they wanted their kid to grow in a safer place, but now he is going to grow without his dad, they were not as luckier as my family was 4 years ago; and I can go on, telling you a lot of exmaples, of how the decisions of insane people without a heart, can affect innocent people, that just try to live a normal life.

Sometimes I wonder why some people think that they have the power to hurt others, and what do they feel when they see that, because of them, others suffer a lot, I really try to understand their reasons, and to think that, if they dont repent, someday their pain will be stronger; but I cant understand them, and I honestly dont know if I would be able to forgive them, if they do something bad to the people that I love, forgiveness would be so hard for me, and I would need a lot of help to do it.

But what I have also learnt , during all these years seeing terrorist attacks in Spain, is that most people in Spain are agaisnt them, and that we always react to them in public, cause we want the terrorists to know that they will never win, that we are going to live in a peaceful way, not matter what they do: they can make us cry, and we will feel anger too, but, at the end, we are together, and we have somthing that they dont have: a heart.

In Spain we have a symbol, that we always put everywhere, when a terrorist attack happens, the symbol is this:



a white hand, that means that we want all this nonsense to finish, we want to live in peace.

Last year, I was working as a volunteer, teaching spanish to inmigrants, and one day, a little boy from Romania asked me if I knew why there are bad people in his county and in Spain, I looked at him, not knowing what to answer, and the only thing that I could say was: "I dont know, but I know that if we try to be good and love others, someday there wont be bad people anywhere", and he smiled, and huged me. I know that that wasnt a very deep answer, and I dont know if it was enough for him, but I am sure that we can change the little part of our tiny world, to make it a better place.

1 comentario:

Jason Fredericks dijo...

I agree with you, it doesn't have anything to do with an independent Pais Vasco. The group has seen significant setbacks in recent years and they want to attract more people to their cause after having been somewhat marginalized by 3-11.

The reality is that their popular support has decreased in proportion to their increased radicalization since their height in the early 70's. They know it as well as we do. Some kids will just do anything to be cool.